Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Farm

"I can see it. We're almost there!" Hearing those words brought excitement and relief. Riding in the car for four hours can seem endless as a kid. It was always a bit of a race to see who would be able to see it first, as it was the first thing that greeted us and the last thing we waved good-bye to through the van windows.

Grandma and Grandpa's tree could be seen before we could even find the barn and house. I have so many incredible memories from my time on their farm, as a kid. I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic today, as I know all my family is gathering for my grandparents' auction at the farm.


The Homestead
We gathered in this place as a family for Grandma's home cooked meals for many occasions. I remember Sunday dinners, Grandpa's birthday parties (his birthday is in the summer), Fourth of July picnics, and even the luncheons after my great-grandparents' funerals.

The Barn

There was always lots to do with my siblings and cousins during our visits. I loved watching Grandpa milk the cows. This was so interesting to me as a "city kid". I even remember the morning a brown spotted calf was born in the barn. I recall making lunch with Grandma and then driving in their Ford truck into the field to find Grandpa on the tractor, so he could have his lunch on the go. Some of the best days ended with lighting sparklers at dusk and toasting marshmallows in the fire pit under the moonlight.

The Road

At the end of each visit we'd drive away from the farm and look back on Grandma and Grandpa waving good-bye as we created a dusty cloud from driving on the gravel road. I would wait to see their tree before I turned around in my seat to make myself comfortable for the long drive home to the Twin Cities.

I may not have been able to be present at the family event today, but my thoughts and prayers were there all day.

“Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” -Kevin Arnold

No comments: